Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The One With the Rude Lady at the Convention

I was at some sort of work-related convention at a huge center.  I was in the main lobby area trying to figure when I was supposed to go into the big room was where all the action currently was, but was at the moment filled with Japanese businessmen.  The announcer was speaking English, however, because I heard him say sarcastically, "Wow, look at the big orange gay pride flag..." but it was actually a confederate flag hanging up.  They were going to drive a car up a ramp through the flag like the Dukes of Hazard.  

The entrance was cordoned off and they were taking tickets from people when it was their turn to come in.  Tim H. from MM walked past me because it was his time to go in, and he took a bowling ball like everyone else was doing before going in, and rolled it up a two-railed track.  A ticket person said, "oh, so close."  It was like bocce where you had to roll your ball hard enough to knock someone out of place without going too far. 

Still trying to figure out my time, I figured I needed to have lunch first because my session must be after lunch.  The lunch area was a gigantic buffet with themed sections.  I walked by an Italian section that had various slices of pizza and spaghetti, and came to a Mexican section that had eggplant flatbread that looked good (Mexican? dream logic).  I went to get a tray, but the trays were all edible and there were multiples to choose from.  I think I chose an eggplant flatbread tray (again, dream logic) and went to get my eggplant flatbread, which had like 3 lengthwise slices of eggplant and cheese on each bread.  The lady before me had taken hers and was scraping one more slice of eggplant off the last flatbread (the one I wanted).  I said, "Thanks for taking toppings off the last piece of flatbread that I wanted."  She turned and she looked familiar.  I said, "Hey, I've yelled at you for something similar in the past, haven't I?"  She smirked and said, "Yeah you have.  Too bad."  She turned and walked away.  I was bummed but a person that was working the buffet came up to me and asked "Bet you didn't know you could ask for artisan cheese from the farmer's market." and she had a spatula of another piece of eggplant with special cheese that she put on the bread to replace the stolen piece.  I thanked her and took my food to the sitting area.

Unfortunately, the sitting area was several floors down from the buffet and all of a sudden my arms were full with my tray and shopping bags.  With full arms, I tried navigating between people in crowded areas and the stairs had people just sitting there or standing in the way.  A lady helped me get through one area and I said, "Thank you for being the only person that offered to help me this whole time!"  She replied, "Thank you for accepting my help without (I can't remember what she said here exactly but I think it was like 'grabbing onto me'); we understand each other!  Have a great week, great day!"  I kept trying to go down to the sitting area and she followed me.  I finally got to this place where I could go down, but it was big steps down into these terraced planters with no plants, just dirt.  I jumped down two levels, and the lady who helped me who was still above me said, "You DIDN'T just do that!" and laughed.  That's when I woke up.

No comments: